Burlingame, Calif-based start-up DataStax will hire up to 20 new employees over the next year after raising $11 million in financing from Crosslink Capital and backer Lightspeed Venture Partners.
Cloud computing will help him manage that data with technologies that include distributed database management system Apache Cassandra, which was initially developed for Facebook, and cloud data platform MapReduce.
Another attractive attribute of Cassandra and other open source products is their low cost, as they’re designed to scale out on commodity hardware.”There’s an order-of-magnitude difference in the speed, performance, and cost of deploying conventional relational databases and Cassandra,” said Billy Bosworth, CEO at Cassandra enterprise support and system monitoring and management software provider DataStax.
Apache has announced the release of Cassandra 1.0.0, the first major milestone of the distributed column-based data store coming with data compression and several performance improvements and optimizations.
Jonathan Ellis, vice president of the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) Cassandra project, is reported to have announced that the NoSQL database is now ready for “mere mortals.
DataStax , which just closed an $11 million Series B funding round, offers an enterprise database platform with big functionality enhancements.
One of the leading NoSQL databases has reached the coveted 1.0 release.
“We’re consciously signalling that Cassandra is ready for mere mortals,” said Jonathan Ellis, who is the Apache vice president of Apache Cassandra project, jokingly referring to the amount administrative expertise needed to deploy previous versions of the software.
- Five Minute Interview – Riptide IO
- Happy Anniversary – Cassandra Turns Five!
- What You Can Get For Free From DataStax
- Good morning, Manhattan
- Consistency and availability: having your cake and eating it, with Cassandra
- Third Iris Launches Growth Phase with Scalable DataStax NoSQL Solutions
- Introducing the DataStax Sandbox
- DataStax Appoints Tony Kavanagh as Chief Marketing Officer
- Google Makes Cassandra NoSQL Scream On Compute Engine
- Internet Identity gains speed, scalability, and security with Cassandra built by DataStax