Installing DataStax Enterprise using APT repositories
Install DataStax Enterprise and OpsCenter using APT repositories on Debian-based systems.
For a complete list of supported platforms, see DataStax Enterprise Supported Platforms.
- Aptitude Package Management (APT) application.
- Root or sudo access to the install machine.
- Latest version of Oracle Java SE Runtime Environment 7, not OpenJDK. See Installing the Oracle JRE.
- If you are using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, you must update to JNA 3.4, as described in Installing the JNA on Debian or Ubuntu systems.
- Python 2.6+ (if installing OpsCenter).
The packaged releases create a cassandra user. When starting DataStax Enterprise as a service, the Cassandra and Hadoop tracker services run as this user. The service initialization script is located in /etc/init.d/dse. Run levels are not set by the package.¶
These steps install DataStax Enterprise. After installing, you must configure and start DataStax Enterprise.
In a terminal window:
Check which version of Java is installed:
$ java -version
If not Oracle Java 7, see Installing the Oracle JRE.Important: Package management tools do not install Oracle Java.
Add a DataStax repository file called
$ echo "deb http://username:email@example.com/enterprise stable main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/datastax.sources.listwhere username and password are the DataStax account credentials from your registration confirmation email.
Add the DataStax repository key:
$ curl -L https://debian.datastax.com/debian/repo_key | sudo apt-key add -Note: If you have trouble adding the key, use http instead of https.
Install the packages:
- $ sudo apt-get update
Install either package:
- $ sudo apt-get install dse-full (Installs only DataStax Enterprise and the DataStax Agent.)
- $ sudo apt-get install dse-full opscenter (Installs DataStax Enterprise, DataStax Agent, and OpsCenter [Optional].)
For production installations, DataStax recommends installing the OpsCenter separate from the cluster. See the OpsCenter documentation.
Removing the datastax-agent package also removes the DataStax Enterprise package.
DataStax Enterprise is ready for configuration.