“We have to be ready for disaster recovery all the time. It’s great that Cassandra allows for active-active multiple data centers where we can read and write data anywhere.”
- Technical Architect at eBay
eBay Engages Customers with Personalized Recommendations
eBay is the world’s largest online marketplace, enabling the buying and selling of practically anything. Founded in 1995, eBay connects a diverse and passionate community of individual buyers and sellers, as well as small businesses. eBay’s collective impact on eCommerce is staggering: In 2012, the total value of goods sold on eBay was $75.4 billion. eBay currently serves over 112 million active users and 400+ million items for sale.
One of the keys to eBay’s extraordinary success is its ability to turn the enormous volumes of data it generates into useful insights that its customers can glean directly from the pages they frequent. To accommodate eBay’s explosive data growth—its data centers perform billions of reads and writes each day—and the increasing demand to process data at blistering speeds, eBay needed a solution that did not have the typical bottlenecks, scalability issues and transactional constraints associated with common relational database approaches. The company also needed to perform rapid analysis on a broad assortment of the structured and unstructured data it captured.
- Support data at extreme scale while delivering a personalized and engaging customer experience
- DataStax Enterprise with integrated search and real time analytics deployed across multi-data centers
- Stores vast amounts of data: 250 TBs
- Handles extreme data velocity with 6 billion writes and 5 billion reads daily
- Delivers highly accurate and personalized search results with low latency
- Ensures 100% uptime, even during peak data loads