If I define all the columns for a column family in Cassandra, I see that they are automatically defined in Hive. If I use ALTER TABLE to add a column in Cassandra, this column does not get added to the Hive metastore thus it is not visible to Hive. Hive does not let me modify an external table. So how do I get my Hive table back in sync with the Cassandra column family?
Steps to reproduce:
1) Create table in cqlsh.
2) Insert row in table using cqlsh.
3) Select row in Hive to verify the data.
4) Alter table in cqlsh and add a new column.
5) Update new column with a value in cqlsh.
6) Select row in Hive to verify the new column's data.
In step #6, select * does not return the new column and select newColumn returns an error.