Search is one aspect of big data that everyone can relate to. We’ve come to expect that when we type text into a box and click “search,” we’ll get the results we’re looking for in a fraction of a second. That’s true whether you’re shopping online for the perfect pair of hiking boots, using your smartphone to get directions to the appointment that started five minutes ago, searching anxiously for the right specialist for a seriously ill child or needing the latest KPIs for the report due at five o’clock. With its distributed scalability, high performance and ability to handle virtually any type of data, no search solution does a better job of easily tackling today’s diverse enterprise search requirements than DataStax Enterprise with integrated search.
With built-in Enterprise Search, DataStax Enterprise delivers the following key capabilities for line-of-business application data stored in Cassandra:
- One database cluster for both transactions and search – no need to shard an application for separate systems
- Easy point-and-click provisioning of new search nodes
- Scalable search that works across multiple data centers and the cloud
- Robust full-text search and hit highlighting
- Faceted search (e.g. by manufacturer, brand, type, size, price, etc.)
- Rich document handling (e.g., HTML, Word, PDF, RTF, email, .zip files, and audio and video formats)
- Geospatial search (i.e., combining location information with data. Includes filtering results by distance, even filtering spatial data within documents, such as CAD drawings or blueprints)
Want to see what the power of search can do for your applications? Get it with DataStax Enterprise.
Benefits of Integrated Search
With search capabilities built in to DataStax Enterprise, you receive numerous benefits over other search offerings including full workload management, no need for ETL, continuous availability, and data protection:
- Full workload management – Search operations in DataStax Enterprise do not affect transactional workloads and vice-versa. Each workload is isolated on nodes in a database cluster devoted to that workload alone.
- No need for ETL – Line-of-business application data stored in Cassandra is automatically replicated and indexed on search nodes and ready for search operations. There is no need for any ETL software or manual intervention; DataStax Enterprise automatically takes care of everything for you.
- Continuous availability – Because DataStax Enterprise search is built on Cassandra, it scales more effectively (add a node online in just minutes with DataStax OpsCenter) and like Cassandra, it never goes down. It’s able to take advantage of Cassandra’s distributed architecture, which ensures continuous availability with no single point of failure.
- Data protection – With the community version of Solr, data can get lost. In the version that comes with DataStax Enterprise data is always completely safe, thanks to the data durability features of Cassandra and built-in security.
- And more – With search in DataStax Enterprise you also get scalable and performant write operations across multiple datacenters and the cloud, automatic data sharding, and easy index rebuild operations, none of which are available in open source search solutions.
Experience enterprise search for yourself. Get it today with DataStax Enterprise.
Scenarios it transforms
Here are some of the ways enterprises can deliver better search experiences using integrated enterprise search in DataStax Enterprise:
- High volume Internet and intranet site searches – DataStax Enterprise’s implementation of search enables extremely fast site indexing and searching. It provides all of the core Solr benefits, including autocomplete, spell check, “more like this” functionality, support for natural language processing and wildcards, and many others, while gaining continuous availability and real-time processing provided through integration with Cassandra.
- Full text search across diverse document and file types – DataStax Enterprise search enables organizations to rapidly locate valuable information strewn across a wide vast array of document types, including PDFs, Word documents, emails, web pages and many others. For example, DataStax Enterprise improved search capabilities for Healthx and HealthCare Anytime’s health care portals.
- Log processing and application code search – IT teams can quickly search extremely large application log files to speed development or troubleshoot problems.
- Categorized (faceted) search – With DataStax Enterprise search, any organization can economically gain the same search capabilities of the largest online retailer. It allows people to find exactly what they need faster by filtering results into logical categories, or facets – by manufacturer, product type, key features, and the like. It narrows results further still into sub categories such as price or color. And it can instantly display the number of items available within any given parameter.
- Location-aware big data applications – DataStax Enterprise search offers powerful geospatial search capabilities that bring location awareness to a host of big data applications. As with text search, results can be categorized through facets (e.g., by distance, city or neighborhood). It also combines geographical information with text parameters, which allows people to sort results using descriptions such as “restaurants with children’s menus” or “rooms with ocean views.”