DataStax Announces DSE 4.6 – the Leading Database Platform for IOT, Web and Mobile Applications
- Apache Spark™ streaming analytics integrated with real-time transactions processing delivers new levels of personalization at global scale
- Enhanced backup and restore service sets new standards in customer data protection
- Advancements in OpsCenter 5.1 further enhances operational simplicity in multi datacenter environments on premise, in the cloud or both
LONDON, December 4, 2014 — At Cassandra Summit Europe 2014, DataStax, the company that delivers Apache Cassandra™ to the enterprise, today announced the general availability of DataStax Enterprise 4.6 (DSE 4.6), the leading database platform for Internet of Things (IOT), web and mobile applications. By offering integrated Apache Spark analytics and advanced enterprise search, DataStax continues to set the pace of innovation together with operational simplicity in the new distributed database technology market. DataStax also announced OpsCenter 5.1, the latest version of its visual monitoring and management tool, providing enterprise-grade backup and restore capabilities to safeguard critical and distributed customer information.
PERSPECTIVES ON THE NEWS
“Data comes in all shapes and sizes making it increasingly challenging to find a database that can accommodate enormous amounts of information while scaling simultaneously,” said Robin Schumacher, Vice President of Products, DataStax. “With its new capabilities, DataStax Enterprise 4.6 customers have the confidence that their database platform can continually handle today’s modern applications, especially in the event of unexpected downtime.”
“We’re most excited about the new Spark streaming analytics and security integration capabilities in DataStax Enterprise 4.6,” said Eric Tanner, Senior Big Data Developer, JustEnough. “With this new functionality, our organization can now benefit from increased performance on real-time data scenarios and ensure trusted management of our enterprise applications on a distributed database infrastructure that never goes down.”
“The world is moving beyond standalone devices into a new era of distributed and connected infrastructure, driving the need for databases that are always available and operationally simple while capable of handling the high performance demands of real-time data processing and analytics,” said Matt Aslett, Research Director, 451 Research.
INCREASED PERFORMANCE FOR APPLICATIONS
DSE 4.6 includes updated security enhancements with LDAP and Active Directory integration for easier external security management, analytics on streaming data and faster search response times to enable increased performance for IOT-style applications where data is quickly being consumed and analyzed.
- LDAP/Active Directory Integration: Seamless integration with corporate security standards, LDAP and Active Directory, ensures easier integration with IT security infrastructure and centralized management of user credentials for information access.
- Enhanced Analytics for Streaming Data: Spark Streaming brings Spark‘s language-integrated API to stream processing, making it easier than ever before to build scalable fault-tolerant streaming applications for real-time data scenarios.
- Faster and Easier Enterprise Search: New performance objects make it easier to monitor and diagnose performance issues. Improvements to built-in search functionality delivers fastest response times on certain use cases making it easier than ever to search data in Cassandra.
NEW LEVELS OF OPERATIONAL SIMPLICITY WITH ULTRA HIGH-AVAILABILITY
With the new backup/restore service and high availability option, DataStax has further simplified database management operations. OpsCenter 5.1 provides greater ease-of-use and data protection capabilities thus taking the burden off database administrators.
- Simple Backup and Restore: OpsCenter’s new service makes backup and restore processes push-button simple with the option of restoring critical data to and from the cloud within seconds.
- High Availability: OpsCenter 5.1 includes an automated high availability option that allows a secondary OpsCenter service to take over in the event of an unplanned failure. This new capability guarantees continuously available operations for business critical web and mobile applications.
DataStax Enterprise 4.6 is currently available and DataStax OpsCenter 5.1 will be generally available in January 2015. A free version of DataStax Enterprise is available for download here.
Join Robin Schumacher, established database expert and DataStax Vice President of Products, as he explores new capabilities in DataStax Enterprise 4.6 and OpsCenter 5.1 in a product launch webinar on January 7, 2015.
DataStax delivers Apache Cassandra™, the leading distributed database technology, to the enterprise. Apache Cassandra™ is built to be agile, always-on, and predictably scalable to any size.
With more than 400 customers in over 50 countries, DataStax is the database technology and transactional backbone of choice for the world’s most innovative companies such as Netflix, Adobe, Intuit, and eBay. Based in Santa Clara, Calif., DataStax is backed by industry-leading investors including Comcast Ventures, Crosslink Capital, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Meritech Capital, Premji Invest and Scale Venture Partners. For more information, visit DataStax.com or follow us @DataStax.