DataStax Unveils DataStax Enterprise 4.8 at Cassandra Summit 2015, the World’s Largest NoSQL Conference
Open-Source Graph Database Titan 1.0 Released and Technical Preview of Apache Cassandra 3.0 Available
- DataStax Enterprise 4.8 supplies upgrades and enhancements for running transactional-analytical applications that require lightning fast search
- Titan 1.0 provides high performance, scale-out graph database capabilities powered by open source standards for graph development, Apache TinkerPop and Gremlin
- Apache Cassandra 3.0 delivers significant storage savings plus materialized views for simplified application development
SANTA CLARA, CA – September 23, 2015 – (Cassandra Summit 2015) DataStax, the company that delivers Apache Cassandra™ to the enterprise, today announced the general availability of DataStax Enterprise (DSE) 4.8, the database platform purpose-built for the performance and availability demands of Internet of Things (IoT), Web and mobile applications. DataStax also announced the release of Titan 1.0, a highly scalable open source graph database optimized for storing and querying graphs containing billions of vertices and edges distributed across a multi-machine cluster. Additionally, with a technical preview of Apache Cassandra 3.0, the open source distributed database management system, available, DataStax further demonstrates its strong commitment to open source.
Click to Tweet: #DataStax announces DSE 4.8 with enhanced integrated analytics and search capabilities bit.ly/1KtsRDF #NoSQL #CassandraSummit
Click to Tweet: #DataStax continues commitment to open source w/release of Titan 1.0 #graphdb bit.ly/1KtsRDF #CassandraSummit
PERSPECTIVES ON THE NEWS
“DataStax is very excited about the enhancements in DSE 4.8 and its role in helping drive Titan 1.0 to completion,” said Robin Schumacher, Vice President of Products, DataStax. “We were privileged to spearhead over 85 percent of the work for Titan 1.0 and continue to be very committed to helping make the best NoSQL and graph database technology.”
“Cake Solutions relies on open source technology to implement enterprise systems which include big data, machine learning and Internet of Things solutions, and that is why we have embraced DataStax Enterprise and Apache Cassandra,” said Guy Remond, Cake Solutions CEO. “The analytics and search enhancements in DSE 4.8 are critical for us to deliver scalable, resilient performant and reliable enterprise and data processing solutions that can handle large amounts of batch or streaming data.”
DATASTAX ENTERPRISE 4.8 ENHANCES TRANSACTION-ANALYTICS AND SEARCH
DataStax Enterprise 4.8 provides a number of enhancements aimed at meeting the requirements of production Web, mobile, and IoT applications, that need to consume, analyze, and search data at record speeds.
Enhancements in DSE 4.8 include:
- Production certification for Spark 1.4, providing customers with trusted and enhanced analytics for production systems
- Support for the Spark job server, which helps manage and monitor Spark activities
- Enhancements to DSE Search’s innovative “Live Indexing” feature that makes incoming data available for search faster than ever before
- User Defined Type (UDT) support in DSE Search, which reduces the coding effort for developers and allows for easy storage and search for various data formats (e.g. JSON) that are stored in Cassandra
- Packaging and deployment ease-of-use improvements via support for Docker
“In order for us to deliver the most advanced solutions that transform the way enterprises think about and deliver production-ready reactive software solutions, it’s imperative that we use the latest and most cutting-edge database technology, not the traditional relational database technology from the past,” said Guy Remond, Cake Solutions CEO. “DataStax Enterprise 4.8 and Apache Cassandra are recognized as one of the best of breed database technologies for tackling today’s most challenging big data problems in enterprises.”
TITAN GRAPH DATABASE ACHIEVES 1.0 STATUS
Titan is a scale-out, high performance graph database built for managing highly connected data. DataStax, along with the Titan community, is excited to see Titan achieve its 1.0 status, which includes powerful new capabilities. “We, along with everyone else in the Titan community, are celebrating the release of 1.0,” said Matthias Broecheler, Director of Engineering at DataStax. “Titan is designed to scale and perform where other graph databases cannot, and with all of the improvements in version 1.0, its ability to handle complex and heavy workloads has gotten even better.”
Enhancements in Titan 1.0 include:
- Support for TinkerPop and Gremlin 3.0, which deliver OLTP and OLAP Gremlin query capability, Spark/Giraph/Hadoop support for OLAP operations, and a sophisticated query optimizer with a query rewrite engine that speeds performance
- Cassandra 2.2, HBase 1.x, and Elasticsearch 1.5 support
- Numerous performance optimizations and fixes
CASSANDRA 3.0 PREVIEWS NEW MILESTONE IN DATABASE’S EVOLUTION
DataStax would like to congratulate the Apache Cassandra project on the release of Cassandra 3.0 RC1. Cassandra 3.0 will provide key performance optimizations, improved data consistency operations, and a number of important data storage and developer enhancements. “Cassandra 3.0 will deliver impressive storage savings over prior versions,” said Jonathan Ellis, Apache Cassandra Chair and CTO and co-founder at DataStax. “Developers can also look forward to 3.0’s new materialized views, which greatly simplify application development scenarios that use denormalized tables to optimize multiple query patterns.”
Both Titan 1.0 and DataStax Enterprise 4.8 are currently available. Technical previews of Cassandra 3.0 may be downloaded today, with the general availability version of 3.0 available later this year. Free versions of DataStax Enterprise for non-production use are available for download here.
DataStax delivers Apache Cassandra™ in a database platform purpose-built for the performance and availability demands for IoT, Web and mobile applications. This gives enterprises a secure, always-on database technology that remains operationally simple when scaling in a single datacenter or across multiple datacenters and clouds.
With more than 500 customers in over 50 countries, DataStax is the database technology of choice for the world’s most innovative companies, such as Netflix, Safeway, ING, Adobe, Intuit and eBay. Based in Santa Clara, Calif., DataStax is backed by industry-leading investors including Comcast Ventures, Crosslink Capital, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Meritech Capital, Premji Invest and Scale Venture Partners. For more information, visit DataStax.com or follow us @DataStax.