DataStax Expands Support of Open Source Apache Cassandra™ as It Prepares to Host Community at Accelerate
New contributions will include contributions of new features, testing and documentation for upcoming releases, as well as renewed commitment to ongoing code contributions
SANTA CLARA, Calif. – May 6, 2019 – DataStax, the leading provider of the only active everywhere hybrid cloud database built on Apache Cassandra™, today announced that it is committing new resources to the Cassandra open source project. As it prepares to host the world’s premier Cassandra user gathering, DataStax Accelerate, near Washington, D.C. from May 21-23, 2019, the company committed to providing additional engineering, testing, and documentation resources to support the highly anticipated Apache Cassandra 4.0 release.
Click to Tweet: Great news #Cassandra community! @DataStax announced new testing, documentation & engineering resources to support Cassandra. Get involved! Come to #DataStaxAccelerate to collab w/ devs & learn from +1000 attendees how Cassandra is used around the world https://bit.ly/2FJRvoY
“A successful open source project requires a broad spectrum of support, including documentation, code contribution, testing, and bug fixing, to name a few,” said DataStax co-founder and Chief Technology Officer Jonathan Ellis. “As one of the original contributors to Apache Cassandra, I’m thrilled to commit greater DataStax resources to supporting this project, which powers the world’s most demanding applications at companies like Facebook, Netflix, FedEx, and Walmart. Many of these teams will be at DataStax Accelerate to share their learnings, best practices, and future plans. It’s going to be a great event to energize and activate the Cassandra community.”
DataStax has been the largest contributor to the Cassandra project since its inception more than 10 years ago. As part of its support for open source, DataStax is increasing its commitment from teams spanning engineering, documentation, and curriculum development professionals to deliver:
- Contributions of new features into Apache Cassandra 4.0 and future releases
- Contributions and updates to Java, C++, C#, PHP, Python, Node.js, and Ruby drivers
- Testing support for the Apache Cassandra 4.0 release and future releases
- Ongoing bug fixes tested and released back into the Cassandra project
- Documentation of the current Cassandra release and the upcoming 4.0 release
- Updated training material specifically covering Apache Cassandra 4.0
For enterprises looking for a commercially supported version of Apache Cassandra, DataStax also offers the DataStax Distribution of Apache Cassandra™, a production-certified, 100% open source compatible distribution of Cassandra. DataStax Distribution of Apache Cassandra allows companies to accelerate Cassandra development and improve utilization with free, high-quality training, tools, and resources. It also includes the choice of 24×7 or 8×5 support from the experts that authored the majority of the Apache Cassandra code to minimize risk and cost.
In addition to providing code commits, bug fixes, testing, documentation, free training, and drivers, DataStax invests in the Cassandra community via:
- Meetups around the world that help the Cassandra community connect with each other and learn everything from getting started to how to integrate with other popular technologies like Kafka, Kubernetes, and more.
- Free online courses geared toward teaching developers how to build applications on Cassandra and best practices for operators and administrators.
- Cassandra Days, free, daylong hands-on learning with an introduction to Cassandra data modeling and app development, offered around the world.
- Forum support in online communities like on Stack Overflow and on the DataStax Academy Slack community.
- Accelerate, a three-day user conference, featuring a developer’s bootcamp, free Cassandra certification, 70+ technical sessions, and on-site networking. Attendees will learn from peers, industry experts, and community leaders about how to transform modern enterprise applications on any cloud at scale.
Accelerate will give developers and Cassandra users an exclusive opportunity to discuss the toughest problems they’re experiencing with dedicated engineering experts, including many of the biggest contributors to the Cassandra project.
To attend, please visit www.datastax.com/accelerate or call 650-389-6000 and use code Accelerate20 for 20% off a conference pass.
- DataStax Accelerate
- DataStax Academy
- DataStax Documentation
- DataStax Distribution of Apache Cassandra
DataStax delivers the only active everywhere hybrid cloud database built on Apache Cassandra™: DataStax Enterprise. The foundation for contextual, always-on, real-time, distributed applications at scale, DataStax Enterprise makes it easy for enterprises to seamlessly build and deploy modern applications in hybrid cloud. DataStax also offers DataStax Managed Cloud, a fully managed, white-glove service with guaranteed uptime, end-to-end security, and 24x7x365 lights-out management provided by experts at handling enterprise applications at cloud scale, and DataStax Distribution of Apache Cassandra™, a production-certified, 100% open source compatible distribution of Cassandra with expert support. For more information, visit www.DataStax.com and follow us on Twitter @DataStax.