Developer Newsletter: DataStax Examples: Your One-Stop Shop for Copy-Paste Code
This issue is guest-edited by Rebecca Mills (@rebccamills), DataStax Developer Learning:
We are excited to officially launch the DataStax Examples program! Our goal is to provide a great collection of code samples and demo applications to the Cassandra community. We want to help you get from zero to working application -- fast!
We’ll highlight a new example in each newsletter. Here’s our example of the week:
This example provides a REST backend built in Java using Spring Boot for use with the Getting Started with Astra UI. This application serves as the connection between the UI and an underlying Astra database. Once it is running, you can use the Swagger UI to visualize and interact with the API’s resources. To get up and running even faster, there is an option to build a Docker image of this project.
We need your help!
Become a contributor! We are striving to grow DataStax Examples, with a variety of different samples created by the community, for the community. Give this example a try, and then:
- Create a Github issue to capture a bug, or suggest an improvement.
- Fork the repository, make some changes yourself, and submit a PR.
- Have an example to contribute? Fill out the DataStax Examples Submission Form with the details -- you could win a cool t-shirt!
- Got a question? Email us at email@example.com
We’re launching an 8 week Cassandra Workshop series starting July 1st! Join us to build, test, and deploy an application into production. You’ll complete the course with very high proficiency in Apache Cassandra™ and be prepared to take a free developer or administrator certification exam.
Community Highlights from Cassandra.Link
- Streaming Cassandra into Kafka in Near Realtime (Part 1) - Yelp’s production-grade one-way streaming between Cassandra clusters with Kafka. Part 2 Here.
- Cassandra to Kafka Data Pipeline (Part 1) - Hands-on instructions to stream from Cassandra to Kafka using Docker (Part 2 Here)
- DataStax CDC Connector for Apache Kafka™ - Brief write up and hands-on tutorial on Bi-Directional Connectivity between two dockerized Datastax Clusters with Kafka
Here are some interesting discussions we’ve been following:
- This thread on the Cassandra mailing list was a curious case of a “delay” in the startup sequence after the gossiper waits for gossip to settle and Erick Ramirez uncovers one of the downsides of having 3,000 tables.
- A user recently asked on community.datastax.com about bloom filters. How do bloom filters affect read performance?