Cloud-Native Workshop: Build Microservices w/ Apache Cassandra™ + Quarkus!
We will show you how to write scalable microservices with DataStax Astra - the only open, multi-cloud serverless DBaaS for Apache Cassandra™
Free · Online Event
Quarkus is a Kubernetes Native Java stack tailored for OpenJDK HotSpot and GraalVM, crafted from the best of breed Java libraries and standards. Quarkus is an optimal choice for building highly-scalable applications while using lower amounts of CPU and memory resources than other Java frameworks. These applications can be traditional web applications, serverless applications, or even functions as a service.
Astra is a Kubernetes Native DBaaS built on modern open source like K8ssandra, Apache Pulsar, Envoy, Prometheus and of course, Apache Cassandra™. Astra is delivered to you as fluent, always-on, secure web APIs. It’s refreshingly straightforward to connect to Astra’s automatic endpoints for CQL, REST, GraphQL, and schemaless JSON documents.
Quarkus and Cassandra together allow you to build powerful cloud native microservices in Java backed by the industry’s most performant and scalable nosql database. By optimizing familiar Java frameworks for the JVM and using Mandrel (based on GraalVM / SubstrateVM) for native execution, Quarkus reduces container size and startup times drastically making Java a contender in the k8s application space. With the Quarkus cassandra extension, you can skip all the boilerplate of building Cassandra apps in Java and focus on your business logic.
We’re excited to have you join our 2 hour session on microservices with Cassandra and Quarkus! We’ll provide everything you need, including GitHub Repos for the workshop code you can use on your own.
You might think this is just another workshop. Think again! We do workshops differently - if you attend live you will get the chance to win some of our special Cassandra Community Swag. We will also offer you the choice of either:
1) a voucher that entitles you to take the DataStax certification for Apache Cassandra™ exam for FREE! These are normally priced at $145 each!
2) $300 credit to use on Astra - our Cloud-native Cassandra-as-a-Service platform. The perfect place to practice your new found Cassandra knowledge!
* In order to get the FREE certification voucher OR the credit, you need to attend the workshop LIVE and complete 1 of the hands-on exercises. You cannot receive both giveaways. *
See a preview of our workshops in the video below:
What we will cover:
- Fundamental NoSQL concepts with Apache Cassandra™
- Spinning up a database in the cloud (you will be doing the spinning)
- Writing a sample app with the Quarkus Cassandra™ extension
- Where to go next to continue your learning
Thursday 11 March
(9am PT / 12pm ET / 6pm CET)
You will not need to install anything during the workshop - We will be working from Astra - our Cloud-native Cassandra-as-a-Service platform. If you want to get ahead of the game and save time during the workshop we recommend creating your account here. We will be using the Lifetime Free-Tier for all of the exercises.
- Ensure you have a good internet connection.
- YouTube Streaming links will be sent out prior to the workshop.
- Join our dedicated Discord server here - this is where we like to hang out and respond to all of your questions during the workshop. You’ll find over 8500 other community members ready to chat in there too.
If you have any technical questions feel free to post them to our dedicated community space