Astra Goes Serverless: Scale Effortlessly and Affordably with a Cassandra-compatible DBaaS
The rise of serverless infrastructure including serverless databases hugely simplified the process of deploying code and data into production. It's no longer necessary to worry about unpredictable cost and pricing, scaling, capacity planning, or maintenance.
Serverless database enables developers to build globally distributed services with ease. You can now deploy applications that have databases spread across numerous data centers around the world, providing low-latency access to your data for many customers with just a few commands.
Introducing Astra serverless data storage in beta.
Astra Serverless data storage is the only muti-cloud Database-as-a-Service (DBaaS) built on Apache Cassandra that allows you to pay for only what you use and scale up or down the database with your application requirements and the traffic.
With Astra serverless data storage, you can auto-scale scale performance and elasticity you need to run your application workloads based on your business needs. It will automatically scale up and down in a fraction of seconds so you don’t have to plan on when and how to scale your database. You don’t have any capacity to manage and you only pay for what you use.
We are launching the beta today and the production release will be available soon.
We are recommending Astra serverless data storage for the following use cases:
- New Applications: New applications with unpredictable traffic. Pay only for the database resource consumed on a per-second basis.
- Infrequently Used Applications: Applications where you can’t predict the workload traffic. Create an end-point and let the serverless database auto-scale, per changing requirements of your application.
- Variable Workload Applications: Applications that have variability in the workload depending on the season or timing of data processing like HR, Budgeting, Tax filing etc. With a serverless database, you don’t have to provide either peak or average capacity.
- Dev/Test Databases: Dev/Test databases that are going to be used only during the working hours of your organization. Serverless scales down to zero automatically when not in use.
Astra serverless data storage will be available in two deployment models:
- Serverless Pay as you Go options:
- Always free up to a certain capacity (Available today)
- Pay as you go based on demand (Coming soon)
- Serverless Reserved Capacity options (Serverless paid/enterprise coming in early 2021)