Developer Newsletter: Stargate = Open Source APIs for Cassandra
This week was an exciting one for the Stargate open source data gateway, with the 1.0 release milestone released on GitHub. This release features REST, GraphQL, and JSON Document APIs you can expose on top of your Cassandra databases. We also announced the availability of Stargate on DataStax Astra, where you can try out the APIs on your free tier database.
We’ve talked with many of you who have built your own API layers on top of Cassandra, demonstrating the value of this approach to increasing Cassandra adoption, and we’re excited about the possibilities this opens up to new developer communities.
We’ve also added learning content on our developer site with hands-on tutorials for each of these APIs:
Check them out and let us know what you think.
Example of the Week
BattleStax is a stateful JAMStack game that is wholesome fun for the entire crew.
- Access the source code on GitHub
- Deploy the app in Astra
- Follow the tutorial
- Video walkthrough on YouTube
- December 16 & 17: Build a Todo App on Apache Cassandra with Spring Boot and Spring Data
- January 12: Certification Exam Preparation Workshop
New Certification Program
We’re developing a new certification program for running Cassandra on Kubernetes. Check out our certifications page for details and to sign up for email updates.
Community Highlights from Cassandra.Link
- SKACK is the new SMACK and SKACK Helm Charts
- SKACK - Big Data Analytics on Kubernetes for Streaming Application
- Liquibase - CICD/Automation for Schema Change Management for Cassandra / Astra
This is our last developer newsletter of 2020, and we wish you health and a much deserved holiday break after a year that has been so challenging for everyone. We’re looking forward to a great 2021, helping each other to learn new skills and change the world for the better with the things we build. See you next year!