Astra DB and Gatsby.js Starter
30 minutes, Beginner, Start Building
Create a React.js, Gatsby application that reads data from DataStax Astra DB using GraphQL.
- Provide a fullstack development example using GraphQL with Astra DB as the storage backend.
How this works
Once the Astra DB credentials are provided, the necessary tables are created in the database. The webservice will be available on port 8080 once the application has been deployed.
Gatsby is a React-based, GraphQL powered, static site generator, with much of the functionality of a modern front-end framework. It brings together the best components of React, webpack, react-router, GraphQL, and other front-end tools. This is used to generate the application.
To build and play with this app, follow the build instructions that are located here: https://github.com/DataStax-Examples/astra-gatsbyjs-starter
Running the Astra DB and Gatsby.js Starter
Follow the instructions below to get started.
Let's do some initial setup by creating a serverless(!) database.
- Create a DataStax Astra account if you don't already have one:
- On the home page. Locate the button
- Locate the
Get Startedbutton to continue
- Define a database name, keyspace name and select a database region, then click create database.
- Your Astra DB will be ready when the status will change from
- After your database is provisioned, we need to generate an Application Token for our App. Go to the
Settingstab in the database home screen.
Admin Userfor the role for this Sample App and then generate the token. Download the CSV so that we can use the credentials we need later.
- After you have your Application Token, head to the database connect screen and copy the connection information that we'll need later. We'll replace
Tokenvalue that is part of your Application Token.
Use this templateat the top of the GitHub Repository:
- Enter a repository name and click 'Create repository from template':
- Clone the repository:
🚀 Getting Started Paths:
Make sure you've completed the prerequisites before starting this step
Running on your local machine
Install Node dependencies with Yarn:
yarn install(Alternatively, use npm:
Run the set up script:
Start your app by running:
yarn start(If using npm:
You can view your app at http://localhost:8000/:
Running on GitPod
- Click the 'Open in GitPod' link:
- Wait for your GitPod workspace to start:
- Set your Astra DB details in the GitPod terminal at the bottom of the screen:
- Click the 'Open browser' button in the bottom right of the screen:
- View your application:
Deploying to Netlify
- Click the 'Deploy to Netlify' button:
- Connect your GitHub account:
- Fill in the Netlify environment variables with information on your Astra DB:
- Click 'Save and Deploy':
- Wait for your app to deploy (this will take a minute or two, the screen will auto-refresh when the deployment is complete):
- Click your Netlify app link to view your live app:
- You've deployed your app to Netlify!