10 minutes, Beginner, Start Building
A sample Next.js + DataStax Astra starter app that leverages the AstraDB REST API to manage a character database.
- Provide a fullstack development example using Astra as the storage backend
How this works
Once the Astra credentials are provided, the necessary tables are created in the database and sample data is inserted. The webservice will be available on port 3000 once the application has been deployed. Once the application is running, you can begin to make changes to your app by editing
Vercel is a cloud platform for static sites and Serverless Functions, it enables developers to host Jamstack websites and web services that deploy instantly. You also have the option to deloy this app in Vercel.
To build and play with this app, follow the build instructions that are located here: https://github.com/DataStax-Examples/astra-next.js-starter
Running Next.js/Astra Starter
Follow the instructions below to get started.
Let's do some initial setup by creating a serverless(!) database.
- Create a DataStax Astra account if you don't already have one:
- On the home page. Locate the button
- Locate the
Get Startedbutton to continue
- Define a database name, keyspace name and select a database region, then click create database.
- Your Astra DB will be ready when the status will change from
- After your database is provisioned, we need to generate an Application Token for our App. Go to the
Settingstab in the database home screen.
Admin Userfor the role for this Sample App and then generate the token. Download the CSV so that we can use the credentials we need later.
- After you have your Application Token, head to the database connect screen and copy the connection information that we'll need later. We'll replace
Tokenvalue that is part of your Application Token.
Use this templateat the top of the GitHub Repository:
- Enter a repository name and click 'Create repository from template':
- Clone the repository:
🚀 Getting Started Paths:
Make sure you've completed the prerequisites before starting this step
Running on your local machine
cdinto the cloned repository. Install Node dependencies with Yarn:
yarn install(Alternatively, use npm:
Run the set up script:
Start your app by running:
You can view your app at http://localhost:3000/:
Running on GitPod
- Click the 'Open in GitPod' link:
- Wait for your GitPod workspace to start:
- Set your Astra credentials (from prerequisites) in the GitPod terminal at the bottom of the screen:
- Click the 'Open browser' button in the bottom right of the screen:
- View your application:
Deploying to Vercel
- Click the 'Deploy' button:
- Click continue:
- Install Vercel for Github:
- Enter your Astra database details and click deploy:
- Click visit to view your live app: