Astra/Spark Migration Tool
40 minutes, Expert, Start Building
Migrate data from an existing Cassandra cluster to Astra using a Spark application.
- Leverage Spark to migrate data from a Cassandra cluster to Cassandra on AstraDB.
How this works
We're using Spark to migrate data from a Cassandra cluster to Cassandra on AstraDB.
To build and play with this app, follow the build instructions that are located here: https://github.com/DataStax-Examples/astra-spark-migration
Running Astra/Spark Migration Tool
Follow the instructions below to get started.
Let's do some initial setup by creating a serverless(!) database.
- Create a DataStax Astra account if you don't already have one:
- On the home page. Locate the button
- Locate the
Get Startedbutton to continue
- Define a database name, keyspace name and select a database region, then click create database.
- Your Astra DB will be ready when the status will change from
- After your database is provisioned, we need to generate an Application Token for our App. Go to the
Settingstab in the database home screen.
Admin Userfor the role for this Sample App and then generate the token. Download the CSV so that we can use the credentials we need later.
- After you have your Application Token, head to the database connect screen and select the driver connection that we need. Go ahead and download the
Secure Bundlefor the driver.
- Make note of where to use the
Client Secretthat is part of the Application Token that we generated earlier.
Use this templateat the top of the GitHub Repository:
- Enter a repository name and click 'Create repository from template':
- Clone the repository: