50 minutes, Advanced, Start Building
A simple Tik-Tok clone running on AstraDB that leverages the Document API.
- Work through a video tutorial to build a simple Tik-Tok clone
- Leverage Netlify and DataStax AstraDB
How this works
We're using Create-React-App and the AstraDB Document API to create a simple Tik-Tok clone. Follow along in this video tutorial: https://youtu.be/IATOicvih5A.
To build and play with this app, follow the build instructions that are located here: https://github.com/DataStax-Examples/astra-tik-tok/blob/master/README.md#running-astra-tik-tok.
Running Astra Tik-Tok
Follow the instructions below to get started.
- (00:00) Introduction
- (03:05) Creating our Database on DataStax
- (06:52) Setting up our App
- (12:37) Routing Pages
- (18:02) Creating Components
- (28:32) Introduction to Data with Netlify and Stargate
- (30:10) Introduction to using the astrajs/collections
- (34:01) Posting data to our Database (creating dummy Tik Tok posts)
- (34:01) Adding authorization to access our Database
- (43:10) Getting data from our Database (getting all our Tik Tok posts)
- (50: 32) Viewing all our Data
- (51:56) Rendering components based on our Data
- (01:17:01) Editing our Data (following/unfollowing a user)
- (01:32:57) Adding new Data to our Database (creating a Tik Tok post)
If you did like this video, please hit the Like and Subscribe button so I know to make more!
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ania_kubow
- YouTube: https://youtube.com/aniakubow
- Instagram: https://instagram.com/aniakubow
Let's do some initial setup by creating a serverless(!) database.
- Create a DataStax Astra account if you don't already have one:
- On the home page. Locate the button
- Locate the
Get Startedbutton to continue
- Define a database name, keyspace name and select a database region, then click create database.
- Your Astra DB will be ready when the status will change from
- After your database is provisioned, we need to generate an Application Token for our App. Go to the
Settingstab in the database home screen.
Admin Userfor the role for this Sample App and then generate the token. Download the CSV so that we can use the credentials we need later.
- After you have your Application Token, head to the database connect screen and copy the connection information that we'll need later. We'll replace
Tokenvalue that is part of your Application Token.
Use this templateat the top of the GitHub Repository:
- Enter a repository name and click 'Create repository from template':
- Clone the repository:
🚀 Getting Started Paths:
Make sure you've completed the prerequisites before starting this step
Running on your local machine
.envfile and fill it with values from the
Make sure the package dependencies are installed
# install dependencies npm install
- Then, start the app in dev mode. Changes in the
functionsdirectories will trigger reloads.
# start in dev mode npm run dev