Why Apache Cassandra?
Apache Cassandra is renowned in the industry as the only NoSQL solution that can accommodate the complex requirements of today’s modern line-of-business applications. It’s architected from the ground up for real-time enterprise databases that require vast scalability, high-velocity performance, flexible schema design and continuous availability.
The benefits Cassandra delivers to your business include:
- Elastic scalability – Allows you to easily add capacity online to accommodate more customers and more data whenever you need.
- Always on architecture – Contains no single point of failure (as with traditional master/slave RDBMS’s and other NoSQL solutions) resulting in continuous availability for business-critical applications that can’t afford to go down, ever.
- Fast linear-scale performance – Enables sub-second response times with linear scalability (double your throughput with two nodes, quadruple it with four, and so on) to deliver response time speeds your customers have come to expect.
- Flexible data storage – Easily accommodates the full range of data formats – structured, semi-structured and unstructured – that run through today’s modern applications. Also dynamically accommodates changes to your data structures as your data needs evolve.
- Easy data distribution – Gives you maximum flexibility to distribute data where you need by replicating data across multiple datacenters, the cloud and even mixed cloud/on-premise environments. Read and write to any node with all changes being automatically synchronized across a cluster.
- Operational simplicity – with all nodes in a cluster being the same, there is no complex configuration to manage so administration duties are greatly simplified.
- Transaction support – Delivers the “AID” in ACID compliance through its use of a commit log to capture all writes and built-in redundancies that ensure data durability in the event of hardware failures, as well as transaction isolation, atomicity, with consistency being tunable.
In addition, Cassandra requires no new equipment and is very economical to run. It also provides data compression (up to 80% in some cases), eliminates the hassle of memory caching software (e.g., memcached), and provides a query language (CQL) that’s similar to SQL, flattening the learning curve.
For complete details on Cassandra’s features and benefits, please read the Introduction to Apache Cassandra white paper.
Ready to get rocking with Cassandra? Get it today with DataStax Enterprise.
How we make it even better
The version of Apache Cassandra you receive with DataStax Enterprise delivers substantial advantages over its open source community counterpart.
For starters, you get the C* Seal of Approval: the very latest production-grade, enterprise-ready edition of Cassandra that’s been thoroughly vetted by the thriving Cassandra community and production-certified by Cassandra experts and committers at DataStax, the world’s leading commercial provider of Cassandra products.
You also receive:
- Built-in support for analytics and search – DataStax Enterprise allows you to run analytics and search operations on your Cassandra data with Apache Hadoop and Solr in the same database cluster, without slowing anything down.
- Enterprise data security – DataStax Enterprise contains the most comprehensive security feature set of any NoSQL provider with built-in data security safeguards, including sophisticated authentication and data encryption not available in community Cassandra versions.
- Enterprise management and monitoring – easily manage and monitor your enterprise NoSQL platform with graphical dashboards, visual backup and restore functionality, simplified administration, full notification with alert management, and software updates.
- And more – You also get certified service packs, hot fix support, easy migration of relational database management systems and log data and a full spectrum of training, support and consultative services.
Ready to get rocking with Cassandra? It comes with DataStax Enterprise.
Scenarios it transforms
Here’s just a sample of common scenarios that can benefit greatly from the Cassandra-powered capabilities in DataStax Enterprise:
- High-volume, high velocity data capture and analysis – (including time series data and data from clickstreams, devices, machines, sensors and “data exhaust” systems). Enterprises such as Constant Contact and SimpleReach are able to efficiently process enormous data volumes from digitally driven operations. Likewise, our production-certified version of Cassandra can easily serve automated data systems used in stock trading, healthcare, energy, manufacturing, ecommerce, social media and many other fields.
- Big data applications needing extreme degrees of scalability, uptime and no single point of failure – Diverse companies such as Netflix, Openwave Systems, Inc., Pantheon Systems and ReachLocal rely on the distributed architecture of Cassandra and DataStax Enterprise to cost-effectively scale their applications as their growth requires while achieving the 100% uptime their customers demand.
- Distributed applications through multiple datacenters or clouds – Many database systems today require the elastic scaling and fault tolerance that multiple datacenters and the cloud make possible. Our implementation of Cassandra is the gold standard when it comes to supporting distributed applications for Adobe, Netflix, eBay, RightScale, ReachLocal, and HealthCare Anytime among others.
- Web-based retail applications – Cassandra in DataStax Enterprise also provides the elastic scalability, high write/read throughput and split-second response times required to run a broad assortment of e-commerce applications, including online shopping carts, kiosks and transactional systems for some of the world’s largest retailers.
- Media streaming – Supporting the streaming of music and video to millions of concurrent users involves astronomical amounts of data. Our Cassandra-powered platform helps support the streaming services of companies such as Netflix and Ooyala.
- Real-time data analytics – Companies such as Ooyala and Boxever use DataStax Enterprise with Cassandra to feed business insights to their customers in real time. It also enables eBay and SimpleReach to capture and analyze high-volume social media data.
- Write-intensive transactional systems – Heavy write volumes are common in big data applications. eBay is processing 5 billion reads and 9 billion writes a day using the enhanced version of Cassandra in DataStax Enterprise.